In August and September, it’s time for a Fair…
There are plenty of opportunities to venture out to a fair in the surrounding counties in Maryland and Virginia.
As tripsavvy.com says, there’s something special about a good old-fashioned county fair. The counties of Maryland and Virginia that surround Washington, DC each host a summer fair, complete with carnival rides, live animal shows, musical entertainment, arts and craft exhibits, contests, educational exhibits and lots of food. Each county fair has its own specialty and unique attractions. Many of them showcase regional agriculture and home arts with hands-on-activities for the whole family.
Before you go to one (or more) of these fairs, learn new techniques and fine-tune your photography skills by joining WPS Instructor Essdras Suarez on one of his Street Photography – DC Safaris where he will teach you how to capture those moments that “tell the story” you see at the fair!
Here is a guide to Summer 2017 county fairs:
- Howard County Fair – August 5-12, 2017. Howard County Fairgrounds, 2210 Fairgrounds Rd. W., Friendship, MD. (410) 442-1022. Carnival rides, live music, farm animals, food. http://howardcountyfair.com
- Montgomery County Agricultural Fair – August 11–19, 2017. Montgomery County Fairgrounds, 16 Chestnut St., Gaithersburg, MD. (301) 926-3100. Livestock competitions and displays, monster trucks, lots of entertainment and food. http://mcagfair.com
- Prince George’s County Fair – Sept. 7-10, 2017. Show Place Arena, 14900 Pennsylvania Ave Upper Marlboro. MD. Carnival rides, live animals displays, family circus, fireworks, live entertainment, food. http://www.countyfair.org
- Anne Arundel County Fair – September 13-17, 2017. Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds, Generals Highway, Crownsville, MD. (410) 923-3400. Monster truck rides, carnival rides and games, farm animals and exhibits, pig races, antique saw mill, pie eating contest, talent show and much more. http://www.aacountyfair.org
- Charles County Fair – September 14-17, 2017. Charles County Fairgrounds, 8440 Fairgrounds Road. La Plata, MD. (301) 932-1234. Farm animals, displays, demonstrations, food, entertainment, carnival rides, games and activities for all ages. http://www.charlescountyfair.com
- Great Frederick Fair – September 15-23, 2017. Frederick Fairgrounds, 797 E. Patrick St., Frederick, MD. (301) 663-5896. Musical entertainment, tractor pulls, equine expo and showcase, agricultural events, food. The fair is one of the oldest in the nation dating back to 1862. http://www.thegreatfrederickfair.com
- Calvert County Fair – Sept. 27-Oct. 1, 2017. Calvert County Fairgrounds, 140 Calvert Fair Rd. Prince Frederick, MD. (410) 535-0026. Farm animals, exhibits, musical, entertainment, food, carnival rides, contests and a 4H auction. http://calvertcountyfair.com
Northern Virginia Fairs:
- Loudoun County Fair – July 24-29, 2017. Loudoun County Fairgrounds, 17564 Dry Mill Rd., Leesburg, VA. (703) 777-3835. Carnival, rodeo-bull riding, farm animals and demonstrations, magic acts, live musical entertainment and food. http://loudouncountyfair.com
- Fairfax County 4 H Fair – August 3-6, 2017. Frying Pan Park, 2709 W. Ox Rd., Herndon, VA. (703) 324-5203. Farm animals, children’s rides and a pie-eating contest. Free Admission. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/fryingpanpark/4-h-fair.htm
- Prince William County Fair – August 11-19, 2017. Prince William County Fairgrounds, Rt. 234, Manassas, VA. (703) 368-0173. Virginia’s largest county fair. Carnival rides, barn shows, live entertainment and attractions for all ages. http://pwcfair.com
- Arlington County Fair – August 16-20, 2017. Thomas Jefferson Community Center, 3501 S. Second St., Arlington, VA. (703) 920-4556. Pig and goat races, pony rides, carnival rides, international foods, crafts. Free Admission. http://arlingtoncountyfair.us
- The Luckett’s Fair – August 19-20, 2017. Lucketts Community Center, 42361 Lucketts Road, Leesburg, VA. Highlights include bluegrass music, “Best Fruit Pie” and the “Largest Vegetable” contests, hayrides, mechanical bull, dancing with cloggers, silent auction, arts and crafts. http://theluckettsfair.com
DC Street Fairs:
- 17th Street Festival – Aug. 27, 2017. This annual festival honors the incredible diversity of restaurants and retailers on 17th Street NW in Dupont Circle, as well as its communal vibe. More than 100 vendors will be on-hand showcasing their offerings and over 50 artists will display jewelry, crafts, fine art and more. There will also be live music, a kids’ zone featuring a moon bounce and a pet zone for those looking to shop or adopt a new pet! http://www.17thstreetfestival.org
- DC State Fair – September 24, 2017. The DC State Fair is a free showcase of the District’s agricultural and creative talents and a daylong celebration of all things homegrown. https://dcstatefair.org Washington Photo Safari is partnering with Capital Photography Center to hold a Safari during the DC State Fair ~ the perfect opportunity to See. Click. Learn!