Join smartphone expert Elody Crimi for an exciting, 3-hour workshop at the National Gallery of Art to learn how to take great photos with your Smartphone camera (whether it’s an iPhone or Galaxy, Droid, etc.) Topics include: an introduction to the basic (and advanced) functions of your phone; how to use little know features to drastically improve your photography; an overview of the most important rules of composition and how/why they affect your photos (with plenty of examples); a demonstration of various applications you can use to help process and edit your photos (right from your phone); and a demonstration/walk-through of all the various peripherals (lens, lights, etc.) that are available for your phone.
Prerequisite: Workshop is for all levels.
• Advanced Camera Operations with your phones
• Rules of Composition – Creating better photos
• Recommended Apps
• Recommended gear (including lenses, flashes)
• The Safari will start in the West Garden Court on the Main Floor of the West Building of the National Gallery of Art (entrance is at 7th and Constitution Ave). This is where we’ll go through all the course material topics listed above (how to use your camera, rules of composition, best apps for your camera, and cool peripherals that are recommended).
• We’ll then proceed into one of the 16th century French painting rooms to shoot images of some of the master paintings in the room (suitable for framing!)
• Next, we’ll head to the Ground Floor and walk along the underground tunnel to the East Gallery. We’ll go up the elevator to the Tower level where we can go outside and take photos of the famous blue “Hahn/Cock” rooster overlooking Pennsylvania Avenue.
• We’ll then proceed to walk down the stairs to take photographs of the hanging Calder sculptures on the Upper Level, and continue down to take images of the amazing architecture and angles of the interior and stairwells of the East Building.
• The Safari will end outdoors in front of the East Building for a group photo.
- What to Bring
- Smartphone: Any brand is OK (likely iPhone or Android)
- Phone Charger
- Pen and Paper
- Where to Meet
West Building, National Gallery of Art, 7th and Constitution Ave, Washington, DC
- Your Instructor
Elody is an award-winning photographer and instructor, specializing in landscape and fine art photography. Davanti Photo, her studio at Artists and Makers 2 in Rockville, MD, offers both photographic services and workshops for the digital camera, as well as Photoshop, HDR, Smartphone photography and private instruction. She is also the Photo Curator in the Archives Dept. at Washington National Cathedral, and the co-author of Jewels of Light, the guide to the stained-glass windows at the Cathedral. She has a BA in Art from Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois and received her certificate in Professional Photography from the Washington School of Photography. In addition, she was with Science Applications International Corp. (SAIC) for 37 years in the Creative Services Division in various managerial and financial roles.